Saturday, January 29, 2011

In Frankenstein, what are some examples of monsters that are inside of Victor?My thesis for my Frankenstein paper is: "Without understanding, the...

This is a very interesting question, and I like the way
you have already considered how to approach it. I think this is going to be a very
interesting essay and I wish I was the one to mark it! Anyway, to help you develop your
essay somewhat, I think one of the biggest elements that you have not mentioned yet is
the way that Victor's passion and obsession with his work actually becomes something
that could be described as an "inner-monster." Let us remind ourselves of the way that
his fascination and single-minded focus on his task of trying to create life actually
causes him to forget about some of the other responsibilities he has in life, such as
his role as son and lover. Note the way that Victor talks about his own obsession and
how it had consumed his life for so long, resulting in much pain and disquiet on behalf
of his friends and relatives:


readability="7">

I had worked hard for nearly two years for the
sole purpose of infusing life into an inanimate body. For this I had deprived myself of
rest and health. I had desired it with an ardour that far exceeded
moderation...



Note the way
that Victor himself is able to question his "ardour" for knowledge, and recognises the
cost of his obsession. This woud be another inner monster that you could refer to in
your paper and of course finds a parallel in the single-minded focus of Walton and the
way that he has sacrificed so much to pursue his objective.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What is the meaning of the 4th stanza of Eliot's Preludes, especially the lines "I am moved by fancies...Infinitely suffering thing".

A century old this year, T.S. Eliot's Preludes raises the curtain on his great modernist masterpieces, The Love...