Thursday, September 6, 2012

wilde's art of characterization in the picture of dorian gray

We find that in Oscar Wilde's The Picture of
Dorian Gray
the author intends to present to us with a character whose
presence causes a number of extraordinary reactions in those who meet
him.


Dorian Gray, a dandy, is a man of unique personal
beauty who seems to cast a spell on every person he knows. This is, in part, because he
is hiding a big sin: He sold his soul by wishing that his picture would grow old instead
of him. When his wish is granted (Wilde does not attribute this odd miracle to anything
in particular) the picture not only begins to age (while Dorian remains young), but
Dorian himself becomes a creature of evil, looking good as always in the outside, but
committing horrid things in the underbelly of London.


This
being said, what Wilde intends to do with Dorian is to attribute him the power of both
creation and destruction, all caused by his immense beauty. This is Wilde's own
reflection on his adoration for physical attractiveness in men, as a classic, Greek
ideal.


Basil Hallward is the person most affected by Dorian
Gray. It is through Basil's fascination with Dorian that we get to understand Wilde's
purpose. Here is an example of when Basil met Dorian:


readability="17">

I turned half-way round, and saw Dorian Gray for
the first time. When our eyes met, I felt that I was growing pale. A curious sensation
of terror came over me. I knew that I had come face to face with some one whose mere
personality was so fascinating that, if I allowed it to do so, it would absorb my whole
nature, my whole soul, my very art itself. I did not want any external influence in my
life. You know yourself, Harry, how independent I am by nature. I have always been my
own master; had at least always been so, till I met Dorian
Gray.



Hence, Dorian Gray's
description is meant to cause both attraction and rejection, fear and curiosity. Above
all, he is to be characterized as temptation itself would be: Lovely to the sight, but
bad for the soul.


readability="9">

Then—But I don't know how to explain it to you.
Something seemed to tell me that I was on the verge of a terrible crisis in my life. I
had a strange feeling that Fate had in store for me exquisite joys and exquisite
sorrows. I grew afraid, and turned to quit the room. It was not conscience that made me
do so: it was a sort of cowardice. I take no credit to myself for trying to
escape.”



 If you notice, the
character of Dorian exhibits all the elements of sin: Temptation, Action, Emotion,
Destruction. That is what ultimately he really represents.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What is the meaning of the 4th stanza of Eliot's Preludes, especially the lines "I am moved by fancies...Infinitely suffering thing".

A century old this year, T.S. Eliot's Preludes raises the curtain on his great modernist masterpieces, The Love...