Wednesday, October 10, 2012

What are the best comedy quotes for Much Ado About Nothing?

This is a bit of a broad question, but I think if you are
after the finest comedy in this excellent play, you need look no further than the
interactions between Benedick and Beatrice and the kind of verbal dexterity that
characterises their "merry war" as each makes clear the disdain that they feel for the
other. Consider, for example, the following exchange from Act I scene 1. In response to
Benedick stating that he "loves none," note how Beatrice
responds:



A
dear happiness to women. They would else have been troubled with a pernicious suitor. I
thank God and my cold blood I am of your humour for that. I had rather hear my dog bark
at a crow than a man swear he loves
me.



To which Benedick
responds that he would that God keeps her in this frame of mind so that some poor
gentleman will escape "a predestinate scratched face." The wit and humour in such
exchanges are by far the finest examples of comedy in the play, and are worthy of
serious analysis. You might also like to look at the scenes containing Dogberry and how
his stupidity and propensity to use malapropisms yields a different kind of
comedy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What is the meaning of the 4th stanza of Eliot's Preludes, especially the lines "I am moved by fancies...Infinitely suffering thing".

A century old this year, T.S. Eliot's Preludes raises the curtain on his great modernist masterpieces, The Love...