Saturday, November 3, 2012

How does Pip's relationship with Jaggers change when Pip comes of age?Great Expectations by Charles Dickens When Pip turns twenty one and...

On his twenty-first birthday, Pip is summoned to Little
Britain to meet with his guardian, Mr. Jaggers, who congratulates him on becoming a man,
"I must call you Mr. Pip today."  Mr. Jaggers asks Pip how much money he calculates that
he spends; Pip answers that he does not know.  When Mr. Jaggers asks Pip if he has
anything to inquire of him, Pip wonders about his benefactor's identity, and if he has
anything to receive.  At this point, Jaggers hands Pip a five hundred pound note, and
tells him that he will receive this per year until his benefactor arrives. 
Mr. Jaggers then informs Pip that he no longer is the agent for Pip's
benefactor
.


He also is circumspect about the
identity of Pip's benefactor.  But after Pip persists in his
asking, 


readability="13">

“Come!” said Mr. Jaggers, warming the backs of
his legs with the backs of his warmed hands, “I'll be plain with you, my friend Pip.
That's a question I must not be asked. You'll understand that, better, when I tell you
it's a question that might compromise me. Come! I'll go a little
further with you; I'll say something
more.”



He then tells Pip that
when that person discloses him/herself, that will be the end of his business with Pip.
"And that's all I have got to say!"  Pip, then, departs with his yearly income and yet
no knowledge of who his benefactor is.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What is the meaning of the 4th stanza of Eliot's Preludes, especially the lines "I am moved by fancies...Infinitely suffering thing".

A century old this year, T.S. Eliot's Preludes raises the curtain on his great modernist masterpieces, The Love...