Sunday, July 31, 2011

Bureaucrats came into being to provide...A. responsibility and accountability B. accountability and efficiency C. predictability and...

This particular question is a bit challenging because it
requires a bit of reading the "tea leaves" in order to fully answer the question.  I
think that because of this, different people might have different responses to it.  For
me, I don't think that the second half of the excerpt, albeit interesting, is something
that is needed to answer the question.  I would rather focus on the first half for it
helps to explain the basis of the question in terms of why or how bureaucrats came into
being:



At one
time in history, bureaucracy actually meant fast, effective, and rational
administration. In its ideal form, a bureaucracy made sure that every job was carefully
designed to ensure faithful performance by well-trained, highly motivated bureaucrats,
or employees.



It is here
where I immediately gravitate, and within this, I think that there is a valid
description of "efficiency" in terms like "fast" and effective."  This now makes my 1
out of 4 into a 1 out of 2.  With this down, I have a much more challenging element in
figuring out if "predictability" or "accountability" is being described.  I feel that
the descriptors used in the second sentence are telling.  The ideas of "faithful
performance" and "highly motivated" and "well- trained" helps to bring out the idea of a
service rendered whereby individuals can stand by the quality of their work.  For this,
I like the idea of "accountability."  I don't see an element of "predictability"
explained as much as I do, "accountability."  With this in mind, I would think that B)
Efficiency and accountability is the correct answer.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What is the meaning of the 4th stanza of Eliot's Preludes, especially the lines "I am moved by fancies...Infinitely suffering thing".

A century old this year, T.S. Eliot's Preludes raises the curtain on his great modernist masterpieces, The Love...