Monday, May 28, 2012

While writing my internal dialogue (monologue) from Shakespeare's Hamlet, how can I resolve Hamlet's decision to not kill Claudius while praying?

If Hamlet kills Claudius while he is praying, Hamlet fears
that Claudius will enter Heaven and find eternal forgiveness. Hamlet does not desire to
have Claudius forgiven of such a cruel crime as killing King
Hamlet.


Perhaps you could write about Hamlet's feelings
while overhearing his Uncle Claudius praying. Perhaps you could begin with Hamlet's
emotions while he overhears Claudius praying. The following would be an
example:


Hamlet:


Oh
how I hate his prayers!


He prays so reverently when he
should die violently.


Oh how I wish to divide his prayerful
heart with my sword!


In haste, I must not kill him
now.


I must patiently wait for him to sin against God and
Heaven.


Then shall his guilty heart receive my
sword.


(Perhaps, the above has helped you know how to
begin).


(Continue to write how that Hamlet must be patient
in his desire to avenge his father's death).


(Continue to
write how Claudius' death must be met with sin in his
heart).


(Write about the decision Hamlet has to make in
waiting until Claudius is in a drunken, sinful, angry
state).


I hope this helps you get started. Good
luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment

What is the meaning of the 4th stanza of Eliot's Preludes, especially the lines "I am moved by fancies...Infinitely suffering thing".

A century old this year, T.S. Eliot's Preludes raises the curtain on his great modernist masterpieces, The Love...