Sunday, July 15, 2012

Give a practical example of the use of inverse functions.no

We can view a function as something that maps things of
one type to things of another type. The inverse of a function tells you how to get back
to the original value. We do this a lot in everyday life, without really thinking about
it.



For example, think of a sports team. Each
player has a name and a number. So if you knew a players name and wanted to know their
number, you could think of this as a function from players to their numbers. Now, if you
wanted to do the reverse, find a players name given their number, you would be using the
inverse of this function.



Another example:
suppose I am travelling at 60 miles per hour, and want to know how far I have gone in x
hours. Then this could be represented by the function`f(x) = 60 *
x`



Now I want to know the inverse: If I know I
have travelled x miles how long have I been travelling for? `f^{-1}(x) =
x/60`

No comments:

Post a Comment

What is the meaning of the 4th stanza of Eliot's Preludes, especially the lines "I am moved by fancies...Infinitely suffering thing".

A century old this year, T.S. Eliot's Preludes raises the curtain on his great modernist masterpieces, The Love...