Thursday, June 30, 2011

What are three quotes in the book To Kill a Mockingbird that talk about Scout?

The first quote about Scout that I notice comes from Jem
near the beginning of the story when they meet Dill. Jem says, "Scout yonder's been
readin' ever since she was born, and she ain't even started to school
yet."


One of my favorite passages about Scout is found
early in Chapter 2. (Page 17 in the Warner Books paperback)  Scout is in the first grade
on the first day of school. The new teacher, Miss Caroline has printed the alphabet on
the board. she calls on Scout to read it. Scout read it. Then ". . . after making me
read most of My First Grade Reader and the stock market quotes from
The Mobile Register aloud, she discovered that I was literate and
looked at me with more than faint distaste."


Another great
word picture of Scout appears in Chapter 9 (p. 84) as she defends her father's honor
against some racist remarks by Francis.   "This time I split my knuckle to the bone on
his front teeth. My left impaired, I sailed in with my right, but not for
long."


These quotes reveal the character Scout to be
precocious, unintimidated, and fierce. From the rest of the narration I get the
impression that Scout is intelligent, observant, principled, loyal, and a
tomboy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What is the meaning of the 4th stanza of Eliot's Preludes, especially the lines "I am moved by fancies...Infinitely suffering thing".

A century old this year, T.S. Eliot's Preludes raises the curtain on his great modernist masterpieces, The Love...