Thursday, January 19, 2012

How can I paraphrase the following quote while including what it means. "Then it occurred to me that none of the books in the class or in any of...

The quote refers to the fact that all readers come to a
text with different backgrounds, histories, circumstances, and
upbringings.


The quote can be paraphrased in the following
way:



I
finally understood that every book, movie, and magazine, I had ever come across, failed
to depict my own house. It seemed that everyone I knew could find their own lives in
those things. I
cannot.



Basically, what you
are trying to say is that no book you have ever encountered details the events which
happen in your own life, your house.


The tragedy of this is
that authors try to find some aspect of a person's life which they can depict in a text
so that the reader will engage in the novel (or text). When a text does not offer a
reader any aspect to relate to, the reader typically fails to gain a deeper
understanding of the text.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What is the meaning of the 4th stanza of Eliot's Preludes, especially the lines "I am moved by fancies...Infinitely suffering thing".

A century old this year, T.S. Eliot's Preludes raises the curtain on his great modernist masterpieces, The Love...