Monday, August 27, 2012

In The Crucible, what are some of the most important quotes and meanings throughout the Acts that most likely are needed in essays?

Arthur Miller's play "The Crucible" is filled with revenge
and fear. The fear that the villagers feel bring about a mass hysteria ending in the
persecution and death of many whom have been charged with being witches. Throughout the
play there are many poignant quotes which one could focus upon in
essays.


The first quote one could scrutinize for analysis
purposes is



I
look for John Proctor that took me from my sleep and put knowledge in my heart! I never
knew what pretense Salem was, I never knew the lying lessons I was taught by all these
Christian women and their covenanted
men!



This quote is found in
Act One and is spoken by Abagail Williams. Prior to the action of the play, readers come
to find out that Abagail has had an affair with John Proctor (he is married to Elizabeth
Proctor). This quote shows Abagail's attempt to place blame on others in regards to her
affair. As the play continues, Abagail continually tries to blame others for the
position she has gotten herself into. In regards to an essay topic, one could support
that Abagail is not a woman who takes responsibility for her actions. Instead, she
continually looks for others to blame or circumstances which she can use to take the
light off of herself.


The next quote comes from Act One and
is, again, spoken by Abagail:


readability="9">

I want to open myself! . . . I want the light of
God, I want the sweet love of Jesus! I danced for the Devil; I saw him, I wrote in his
book; I go back to Jesus; I kiss His hand. I saw Sarah Good with the Devil! I saw Goody
Osburn with the Devil! I saw Bridget Bishop with the
Devil!



Here readers can see
that Abagail's confession is not one in which she gives in honesty. Instead, her
confession is given so that she can be freed from persecution. (According to Salem law,
if one confesses to consorting with the Devil they are considered innocent and redeemed.
As seen in the previous quote, Abagail is simply concerned with her own welfare and
worries about no one but herself. She gives up the name sof others so that the officials
can move their concern away from her and they can charge others with
witchcraft.


The last quote is given by John Proctor at the
end of the play:


readability="7">

Because it is my name! Because I cannot have
another in my life! Because I lie and sign myself to lies! Because I am not worth the
dust on the feet of them that hang! How may I live without my name? I have given you my
soul; leave me my name!



John
has admitted to the affair with Abagail. He is now charged with signing his name to a
paper which will be posted for all of the town to see. He knows that signing the paper
will save his life, he has already admitted to the affair, but he does not understand
why the verbal admittance is enough. He states that everything else has been taken from
him- he is no longer the respected man that he was before. He refuses to sign his name
to the paper because it is the only thing that he has left that is truly
his.


In regards to an essay about the above quote, one
could examine the lengths one would go to to save something which means more to them
than all else. We are given a name- it is the one thing that no one should be able to
take from us.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What is the meaning of the 4th stanza of Eliot's Preludes, especially the lines "I am moved by fancies...Infinitely suffering thing".

A century old this year, T.S. Eliot's Preludes raises the curtain on his great modernist masterpieces, The Love...