Saturday, January 23, 2016

What is the significance of the Malcolm & Macduff Conversation in Macbeth?

In Act four, Scene three of Macbeth,
Malcolm and Macduff have a significant conversation. Malcolm betrays his own innocence,
claiming that he too lusts for power, not unlike the evil
Macbeth:



With
this there grows
In my most ill-composed affection such
A
stanchless avarice that, were I King,
I should cut off the nobles for their
lands,(90)
Desire his jewels and this other's house,
And my
more-having would be as a sauce
To make me hunger more, that I should forge

Quarrels unjust against the good and loyal,
Destroying them for
wealth.(95)



Of course,
Malcolm is only testing Macduff's sincerity. He is searching for some mischief that may
be found in Macduff. Malcolm is actually honorable. He tells Macduff lies to see if
Macduff is solely in favor of protecting the throne of Scotland. Macduff passes the
test. He mourns for Scotland, his
homeland:



O Scotland,
Scotland!



When Malcolm
realizes that Macduff can be trusted, they create an honorable bond and agree to rid
Scotland of the evils of Macbeth. Malcolm proclaims his innocence. He tells Macduff that
he has only been testing his sincerity:


readability="14">

I am yet(140)
Unknown to woman,
never was forsworn,
Scarcely have coveted what was mine own,
At no
time broke my faith, would not betray
The devil to his fellow, and delight

No less in truth than life. My first false speaking(145)
Was this
upon myself. What I am truly,
Is thine and my poor country's to
command:



At this, Malcolm and
Macduff come into an agreement to rid Scotland of the evils of
Macbeth:



Now
we'll together, and the chance of goodness
Be like our warranted
quarrel!



In summary, the
beginning conversation between Malcolm and Macduff is one of pretense. Malcolm pretends
to be lustful and full of evils to test Macduff's loyalty to the throne of Scotland.
Malcolm was looking for a sign of loyalty to the throne of Scotland. When Macduff passes
the test, Malcolm is ready to join his forces with Macduff in order to restore goodness
back to the throne of Scotland.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What is the meaning of the 4th stanza of Eliot's Preludes, especially the lines "I am moved by fancies...Infinitely suffering thing".

A century old this year, T.S. Eliot's Preludes raises the curtain on his great modernist masterpieces, The Love...