Tuesday, May 21, 2013

What is the conflict in Dickens' Great Expectations?

There are two predominant conflicts in Great
Expectations
. The first is in the conflict category of Human against Human
while the second is Human against Self. From the beginning Pip is set-up in a position
of double conflict with Estella (Human against Human). Miss Havisham wants to (1) use
Pip to punish mankind for her betrayal at the alter. Her clever scheme is to (2) cause
Pip to fall in love with Estella who has been taught to scorn males with a cold, proud
vanity that is unyielding. This conflict is resolved at the end of the story when
Estella confess that she continued in "remembrance of what I had thrown away when I was
quite ignorant of its worth" and Pip reciprocates with "in all the broad expanse of
tranquil light they showed to me, I saw no shadow of another parting from
her."


As his tutelage under Miss Havisham continues, and he
attributes his fortune to her, Pip comes to be in conflict with himself (Human against
Self) as he learns to adopt as he own the proud and arrogant ways that Miss Havisham and
Estella epitomize. Pip comes to scorn anything and anyone who does not stand up to their
measure, including good but rough Joe who has only Pip's best interests at heart. When
Pip promises Magwitch that he will always stay by his side, he offers tangible proof
that he has overcome this conflict and has shed the domination of Estella's and Miss
Havisham's hatred and pride.


readability="9">

"I will never stir from your side," said I, "when
I am suffered to be near you. Please God, I will be as true to you as you have been to
me!"


No comments:

Post a Comment

What is the meaning of the 4th stanza of Eliot's Preludes, especially the lines "I am moved by fancies...Infinitely suffering thing".

A century old this year, T.S. Eliot's Preludes raises the curtain on his great modernist masterpieces, The Love...