Saturday, July 18, 2015

I have to make a symbolism booklet for The Old Man and the Sea and I want to know what excatly is a symbolism booklet?

My initial response to this question is to tell you to ask
your teacher or whoever has set you this assignment. This is because, at the end of the
day, it is your teacher who will be grading this assignment, not I, and they might have
different ideas than I do. However, having shared this caveat, let me tell you what I
would expect from a symbolism booklet if I had set this
assignment.


I would expect to see a booklet with one page
or thereabouts focusing on each symbol in this excellent book. So therefore you would
have one page focusing on the sea, for example, and another page on the fish itself.
Each page would include all the quotes from the text that are relevant to how that
object, character or action is established as a symbol, and would conclude with a
paragraph analysing the quotes and suggesting what the meaning of that symbol is in the
novel.


So, to complete this assignment, you will need to
read the book again, noting down all relevant quotes, and then organise your quotes into
the separate symbols and then use one page per symbol. Hope this helps! Good
luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment

What is the meaning of the 4th stanza of Eliot's Preludes, especially the lines "I am moved by fancies...Infinitely suffering thing".

A century old this year, T.S. Eliot's Preludes raises the curtain on his great modernist masterpieces, The Love...