Saturday, October 12, 2013

What does the following quote from Macbeth mean?""Whose horrid image doth unfix my hairAnd make my seated heart knock at my ribs,Against the use of...

As always, to identify the meaning of any given individual
quote it is vital to look at that quote in context and try to use those contextual clues
to help us understand it. This quote is actually from Act I scene 3 and is said by
Macbeth as part of an aside in response to hearing the prophecy of the witches and then
having the first element of that prophecy completed through his gaining of the title of
Thane of Cawdor. In this aside, Macbeth explores his curious range of emotions at having
had the first stage of the prophecy confirmed, and debates whether the prophecies he has
received are good or bad. Note what he asks:


readability="14">

If good, why do I yield to that
suggestion


Whose horrid image doth unfix my
hair,


And make my seated heart knock at my
ribs,


Against the use of
nature?



Macbeth is asking if
the prophecies are good, why is it that he finds himself contemplating killing King
Duncan, something that terrifies him incredibly because it is such an unnatural thing to
want to do? This quote therefore points towards the way in which Macbeth is already
contemplating committing regicide to gain the crown for himself.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What is the meaning of the 4th stanza of Eliot's Preludes, especially the lines "I am moved by fancies...Infinitely suffering thing".

A century old this year, T.S. Eliot's Preludes raises the curtain on his great modernist masterpieces, The Love...