Tuesday, March 24, 2015

Are we more defined by the greater challenges in our lives or by the small challenges we face everyday?

I would argue that we are more defined by the small,
everyday challenges.  This is because they are much more common and constant and
therefore make up a bigger part of our lives.


Great
challenges come along very rarely.  They do not make up a large part of what happens to
us so they should not be what defines us.  For example, if I react splendidly to a grave
family crisis but am irresponsible and unpleasant on a daily basis for the rest of the
time, which carries more weight?  To me, it is the daily actions that I take that would
define the way my family sees me.


Since small challenges
are the things that make up the vast majority of our lives, they are the things that
define us to a much greater extent than greater challenges do.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What is the meaning of the 4th stanza of Eliot's Preludes, especially the lines "I am moved by fancies...Infinitely suffering thing".

A century old this year, T.S. Eliot's Preludes raises the curtain on his great modernist masterpieces, The Love...