Tuesday, March 24, 2015

What are some quotes and/or language features that help relate to an important choice made by a character in The Outsiders?

Randy Adderson is the Soc who meets with Ponyboy outside
the Tasty Freeze and later visits him at the Curtis house. The best friend of the dead
Soc, Bob Sheldon, Randy is confused about the events since Bob's death, especially the
heroics performed by Pony, Johnny and Dally in saving the children from the church fire.
Randy can't believe a greaser would perform such an act, telling Pony
that



"I
wouldn't have. I would have let those kids burn to
death."



Author S. E. Hinton
creates an emotional scene that serves as a lesson for both Randy and Pony, and it is
the only time in the story when a Soc and greaser befriend each other. Randy has decided
not to take part in the rumble. "Close to tears," he tells Pony how Bob's parents never
told him "no," and how the rumble won't decide
anything.


readability="6">

"Greasers will still be greasers, and Socs will
still be Socs..."



Randy
reveals an emotional side to Pony that he could never show to his Soc pals.
Half-sobbing, he asks Pony for advice.


readability="7">

"What can I do? I'm marked a chicken if I punk
out at the rumble, and I'd hate myself if I didn't. I don't know what to
do."



The two depart on
friendly terms, and Pony recognizes that Randy is not just a
Soc--



    
"... he's just a guy."
     ... I felt better. Socs were just guys after
all.


No comments:

Post a Comment

What is the meaning of the 4th stanza of Eliot's Preludes, especially the lines "I am moved by fancies...Infinitely suffering thing".

A century old this year, T.S. Eliot's Preludes raises the curtain on his great modernist masterpieces, The Love...