Sunday, June 22, 2014

In Act 3, scene 3 of Hamlet, Claudius suggests that he cannot 'repent' or be absolved for murdering the previous king. Why?

There are two aspects to consider when answering this
question. Firstly, this soliloquy begins by pointing out that the sin of Claudius is
actually pretty bad as far as sins go, because it is repeats the very first act of
murder that we are told about in the Bible, when Cain killed his brother Abel.
Therefore, according to Claudius, it is especially
bad:



Oh, my
offence is rank, it smells to Heaven,


It hat the primal
eldest curse upon't.


A brother's
murder.



Secondly, Claudius
says that he has no chance of being forgiven when he still has everything he gained from
committing that murder.


readability="15">

Forgive me my foul
murder:


That cannot be, since I am still
possess'd


Of those effects for which I did the
murther,


My crown, mine own ambition, and my
Queen.



Claudius says that in
this world you can often buy your way out of justice, keeping what you gain by
committing crimes and avoiding punishment, but then in heaven, no such option is
available, because all of our faults are evident and cannot be hidden. Forgiveness or
absolution cannot be received whilst he still retains the crown, Gertrude, and his own
ambition.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What is the meaning of the 4th stanza of Eliot's Preludes, especially the lines "I am moved by fancies...Infinitely suffering thing".

A century old this year, T.S. Eliot's Preludes raises the curtain on his great modernist masterpieces, The Love...