Saturday, March 7, 2015

Chapter 50: How does Pip show real courage and character?Great Expectations by Charles Dickens

Chapter L of the etext of
Great Expectations mainly covers the tending of Pip's burns by
Herbert who, in so doing, tells Pip more of the history of Abel Magwitch. He reveals to
Pip that Magwitch has told him that he has had a child, a girl.  However, the mother of
this child threatened to kill the girl if Abel Magwitch pursued her after she had
strangled a jealous woman.


Then, in Chapter LI, which in
some texts is Chapter L, Pip bravely goes to Little Britain and finds both Mr. Jaggers
and Wemmick together.  Seizing the opportunity, Pip presents the request for nine
hundred pounds which Miss Havisham has donated for Herbert Pocket's future, and Wemmick
is told to draw the cheque; courageously, then, Pip inquires about a certain woman and
her daughter.  And, he tells Mr. Jaggers that he knows who the father of the child is as
well. Mr. Jaggers brusquely inquires on what evidence Provis makes the claim to be the
father.  After this, Jaggers tries to put Pip off by his asking Wemmick what he was
about to do.  Pip narrates, 


readability="16">

I could not submit to be thrown off in that way,
and I made a passionate, almost an indignant appeal to him to be more frank and manly
with me. I reminded him of the false hopes into which I had lapsed, the length of time
they had lasted, and the discovery I had made: and I hinted at the danger that weighed
upon my spirits. I represented myself as being surely worthy of some little confidence
from him, in return for the confidence I had just now imparted. I said that I did not
blame him, or suspect him, or mistrust him, but I wanted assurance of the truth from
him.



In typical fashion, Mr.
Jaggers admits to nothing,but puts forth his argument, contending that if he could
prevent the child's death and destruction through marriage he
would.



“Put
the case, Pip, that here was one pretty little child out of the heap who could be saved;
whom the father believed dead, and dared make no stir about; as to whom, over the
mother, the legal adviser had this
power:



Then, he asks Pip for
whose safety Pip would advise the girl of thee truth.  Realizing that Mr Jaggers is
correct; Estellla would be disgraced were her parentage revealed.  So Pip
departs.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What is the meaning of the 4th stanza of Eliot's Preludes, especially the lines "I am moved by fancies...Infinitely suffering thing".

A century old this year, T.S. Eliot's Preludes raises the curtain on his great modernist masterpieces, The Love...