Thursday, January 2, 2014

Two angles are supplementary . The measure of the first angle is 36 less than three times the second angle . What are the angles .

In solving this particular equation, ensuring that your
formula is set up properly is going to be critical.  In knowing that 2 angles are
supplementary, you know that when both are added together, they have to equal 180
degrees.  Supplementary angles means angles that add to 180 degrees.  You know with
these parameters that your equation cannot exceed these limits.  From here, configuring
the solution becomes following the rules established.


You
know that two angles are needed, and that one of them is 36 less than three times the
second angle.  This means that my first angle is going to be 3x- 36 because I am looking
at something that is three times (3x) and 36 degrees less (-36) than my second angle
which we will represent as simply x.  My formula looks like this when all is said and
done:


3x- 36 + x= 180


Add like
terms and I have 4x with the -36.  The 180 on the other side does not
change.


4x + 36= 180


Isolate
for x, which means I add minus 36 to both sides.


4x=
144


Solve for x.


x=
36


This means that one of the angles is 36
degrees and the other one is 144 degrees.
If I add them together to run
the check, I get 180, the measurement of supplementary angles.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What is the meaning of the 4th stanza of Eliot's Preludes, especially the lines "I am moved by fancies...Infinitely suffering thing".

A century old this year, T.S. Eliot's Preludes raises the curtain on his great modernist masterpieces, The Love...