Wednesday, May 14, 2014

I need a concept for a painting and drawing on history and steoreotypes, what would be good angles on steoreotypes to do my research on?


readability="4.952380952381">

src="http://d2hej51cni6o0x.cloudfront.net/images/user_icons/College_Female_Small.png"
class="profilePic" alt="hopcom5's profile pic"/>





Well, that depends
on where your interests lie. Thus, the questions to ask yourself is what is important to
me? What kind of change (political, social, economic, etc.) would I like my work to
defend or support? What would be my message or stance on the issue? Until you answer
questions like this it will be difficult to narrow down to one stereotype or, even,
using the idea of stereotyping. Try to think of something (issues, laws, etc.) that
moves you whether positive or negative (I find it easier to create when i'm ticked off).
Then look for streotypes and examine how the effect the issue. For example, I am
obsessed with the depiction of the female body in American literature and how it
perpetuates an idealized representation of women. From that I decided to start
viewing/reading pre and post-colonial novels, etc. Which lead me to looking at,
specifically the female slave. In turn that led me to one of the most universally known
stereitypes of the Mammy (like on the pancake box or in "Gone With The Wind. Hope this
helps.









No comments:

Post a Comment

What is the meaning of the 4th stanza of Eliot's Preludes, especially the lines "I am moved by fancies...Infinitely suffering thing".

A century old this year, T.S. Eliot's Preludes raises the curtain on his great modernist masterpieces, The Love...