Monday, May 12, 2014

Please give an example of some dialogue from Ethan Frome that describes Mattie Silver's personailty.The dialogue should be spoken by Mattie and...

If you are after dialogue that Mattie says herself that
gives a description of her character, you might like to think about how she describes
herself to Ethan in Chapter Two of this great novel, when she talks about leaving and
not being very good at her job. Consider the following
quote:



"I
konw I ain't anything like as smart as I ought to be," she went on, while he vainly
struggled for expression. "There's lots of things a hired girl could do that come
awkward to me still--and I haven't got much strength in my arms. But if she'd only tell
me I'd try. You know she hardly ever says anything, and sometimes I can see she ain't
suited, and yet I don't know
why."



Here we can see that
Mattie describes herself as not being very clever, and also rather weak, especially in
her arms. She also says that she is not necessarily good at her job, and that she is
still learning to do many things that others in her place would have learned how to do
much quicker. This is an important quote as it represents Mattie's own ideas about
herself and how she is viewed by others.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What is the meaning of the 4th stanza of Eliot's Preludes, especially the lines "I am moved by fancies...Infinitely suffering thing".

A century old this year, T.S. Eliot's Preludes raises the curtain on his great modernist masterpieces, The Love...