Monday, May 19, 2014

In Chapter 14 of Villette, what is the significance of Lucy's acting?

Chapter 14 explains how Lucy Snowe is drafted in last
minute to replace an actress who was going to perform but was unable to because of
illness. Once Lucy gets on the stage, she begins to settle into her role and to become
aware of the other actors around her and of the audience. She becomes increasingly aware
that Ginevra Fanshawe is acting and delivering her lines as a coquette to someone in the
crowd: Dr. John, whom Lucy herself loves and has feelings for. In response to this, Lucy
is "animated" with jealousy and throws the energy and emotions that she feels into her
"role" on the stage of wooking the character of Ginevera. Note how Lucy tries to "outdo"
Ginevra with regard to Dr. John:


readability="13">

In the "Ours," or sincer lover, I saw Dr. John.
Did I pity him, as erst? No, I hardened my heart, rivalled and out-rivalled him. I knew
myself but a fop, but where he was outcast I could please. Now I acted as if wishful and
resolute to win and
conquer.



In her longing to
"eclipse" Dr. John and the way that he intrudes into the performance through the rival
jealousies of Lucy Snow and Ginevra Fanshawe, Lucy gives an excellent performance that
surprises even the demanding theatre master, M. Paul.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What is the meaning of the 4th stanza of Eliot's Preludes, especially the lines "I am moved by fancies...Infinitely suffering thing".

A century old this year, T.S. Eliot's Preludes raises the curtain on his great modernist masterpieces, The Love...