Thursday, May 15, 2014

Who is Smirnov and what is he like in The Bear?

Smirnov is a "landowner in early middle age" according to
the introduction we are given to him at the beginning of the play. He is bothering Mrs.
Popov because her dead husband owed him a sum of money that he now needs to reclaim or
else he will be in financial difficulties. He is a rather abrupt, rash man who comes
across as very uncouth compared to the rather sophisticated Mrs. Popov. He is also very
stubborn and straightforward, as his declaration to stay until he gets his money shows.
Consider the following quote that he says:


readability="11">

It doesn't pay to wear kid gloves with this lot!
All right, just you wait--I'll give you something to remember me by! You don't make a
monkey out of me, blast you! I'm staying here--going to stick around till she coughs up.
Pah! I feel well and truly riled today. I'm shaking like a leaf, I'm so furious--choking
I am.



We can see from this
quote that he is not afraid of expressing his emotions and that he is a very tenacious
individual, determined to stay with Mrs. Popov until he gets his money. We can also
infer that he is going to try to be as irritable as possible to ensure he gets his money
as soon as he can, no matter how griefstricken Mrs. Popov is.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What is the meaning of the 4th stanza of Eliot's Preludes, especially the lines "I am moved by fancies...Infinitely suffering thing".

A century old this year, T.S. Eliot's Preludes raises the curtain on his great modernist masterpieces, The Love...