Saturday, November 8, 2014

How is responsibility shown in chapters 13-16 of Bless Me, Ultima?

You might like to consider the character of Pedro in
Chapter Thirteen ad how he takes responsibility for his own actions and failures in the
way in which he did not warn Ultima about Tenorio in the same way that Narciso did. Note
how Pedro responds to his nephew's question:


readability="14">

My uncle started to answer, but held back. I saw
his hands grip the steering wheel so hard that his knuckles turned white. For a long
time he fidgeted, then he finally said, "It does not decrease my shame to say I was a
coward last night. We all were. We took our father's wish as an excse. Believe me, my
faith is bound with that woman for saivng Lucas. The next time, and God grant there
isn't a next time, I will not shirk my duty to
her."



I think this is an
important example of responsibility because we see here that Pedro, in spite of his
initial reactions of shame and embarrassment, indicated in the tight grip he places on
the steering wheel, does not shirk from admitting his own mistakes, acknowledging them
openly and taking responsibility for them, and determines to learn from his mistakes and
be faithful to Ultima in future. This is an excellent example to focus on because Pedro
ignores his urges to deny his cowardice and lack of responsibility, and admits his
faults, determining to improve his character in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What is the meaning of the 4th stanza of Eliot's Preludes, especially the lines "I am moved by fancies...Infinitely suffering thing".

A century old this year, T.S. Eliot's Preludes raises the curtain on his great modernist masterpieces, The Love...