Friday, January 30, 2015

How would you rewrite these sentences to make it clear to which antecedent the pronoun refers.1. Sarah and Madison painted her parents' fence. 2....

There is more than one way to interpret these sentences,
so I have given several alternatives for
each.



1. Sarah and Madison painted her parents'
fence.


Assuming Sarah and Madison are sisters, I would
rewrite this as


readability="5">

Sarah and Madison painted their parents'
fence.



2. The Canadians and
the Russians met at their embassy.


We can assume that the
Canadians and Russians do not share one embassy, so this would be better rewritten
as



The
Canadians and the Russians met at the Canadian embassy;
or


The Canadians and the Russians met at the Russian
embassy.



It would be
difficult to rewrite this clearly using a pronoun, although these are
possibilities:


readability="11">

Both the Canadians and the Russians met at the
Russian embassy. Or,


Both the Canadians and the Russians
met at the Canadian embassy. Or,


The Canadians and the
Russians met at their own
embassies.



3. I listen to
country and hip hop. That is my favorite.


readability="11">

I listen to country and hip hop. They are my
favorites. Or,


I listen to country and hip hop. Country is
my favorite. Or,


I listen to country and hip hop. Hip hop
is my favorite.



4. She bought
a car from the dealership, even though it was
rusty.


Assuming that the dealership is not
rusty,



She
bought a car from the dealership, even though the car was rusty.
Or,


At the dealership, she bought a car, even though it was
rusty.



5. James told Harry
that he should take the penalty kick.


readability="12">

"Harry," James said, "you should take the
penalty kick." Or,


"Harry," James said, "I should take the
penalty kick."


No comments:

Post a Comment

What is the meaning of the 4th stanza of Eliot's Preludes, especially the lines "I am moved by fancies...Infinitely suffering thing".

A century old this year, T.S. Eliot's Preludes raises the curtain on his great modernist masterpieces, The Love...