Friday, January 23, 2015

Please give the most important quote in Act I of King Lear.

There are plenty of quotes that have significance, but to
give you one that seems to be to stand out as being particularly important in terms of
the overall play, I would want to choose Cordelia's response to her father. Let us just
remind ourselves of the context. Lear wants each of his daughters to tell him just how
much they love him, and he will award his kingdom and power according to their
responses. We have seen Regan and Goneril engage in insincere lies and flattery designed
to try and get as much from their father as possible. In sharp contrast to her sisters,
Cordelia, Lear's most-loved daughter, says the following in Act I scene
1:



Unhappy
that I am, I cannot heave
My heart into my mouth. I love your
majesty
According to my bond; no more nor
less.





Although
lacking in flattery, Cordelia actually expresses a deeper and sincerer and more valuable
love than the lies of her sisters, as she loves her father "according to my bond," which
means she accepts without hesitation her responsibility and duty to love him, both in
his role of father and king. It is clear that Cordelia has a genuine love for her
father, but she refuses to "heave / My heart into my mouth" and exaggerate her feelings
with falsehoods for her own personal gain, as her sisters have just done. It is Lear's
response to these words and his ironic inability to perceive, understand and appreciate
the genuine love that they contain that initiates the tragedy of this play. This quote
is therefore important because their lack of flattery demonstrate the depth of her love
whilst emphasising her father's foolishness and lack of ability to perceive the truth
about his daughters and how they regard him respectively.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What is the meaning of the 4th stanza of Eliot's Preludes, especially the lines "I am moved by fancies...Infinitely suffering thing".

A century old this year, T.S. Eliot's Preludes raises the curtain on his great modernist masterpieces, The Love...