Saturday, August 22, 2015

If you were to write an essay on what freedom of speech means to you, what would be your three main points?

If I were to write such an essay, my main point would be
that freedom of speech does not mean as much to me as it
should.


My first point would be that many people all over
the world do not have much, if any, freedom of speech.  I might mention China, which has
improved greatly in many ways, but where people are still arrested (or worse) for
criticizing the government.


My second point would be that
we in the US (or I, at least) take freedom of speech for granted.  I would point out how
little anyone's free speech has been curtailed in this country.  I might mention that
there have been things like the Red Scare/McCarthy Era in the '50s but that such things
have been rare and have really not touched that many people when they have happened. 
Even in the worst of times, Americans have been free to criticize their government and
to say almost whatever they want.  In the best of times, there are essentially no
limits.


My final point would be my main point.  I would say
that free speech should mean more to me.  I should appreciate it more because free
speech is the basis of a free society.  I should appreciate it more because so many
people do not have it rather than taking it for granted because it has been so prevalent
in the United States.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What is the meaning of the 4th stanza of Eliot's Preludes, especially the lines "I am moved by fancies...Infinitely suffering thing".

A century old this year, T.S. Eliot's Preludes raises the curtain on his great modernist masterpieces, The Love...