Wednesday, October 21, 2015

How can John Proctor's death serve to illustrate the meaning of the concept of The Crucible?

Proctor's death represents a couple of levels of meaning
that can apply to the play, in general.  Miller deliberately designed the drama to
center on Proctor.  He is to be the embodiment of the tragedy of Salem, the entire
premise of the "crucible."  Indeed, Proctor's test under which the most searing of heat
is applied resides in what he values.  Proctor's death makes it clear that one's name
and reputation is the only constant in a world of complete mutability and
change:


readability="8">

Because it is my name! Because I cannot have
another in my life! Because I lie and sign myself to lies! Because I am not worth the
dust on the feet of them that hang! How may I live without my name? I have given you my
soul, leave me my
name!



Proctor's death also
demonstrates how sacrifice for social change is an inevitable condition in the modern
setting.  Proctor reverses course in his "confession" because he understands how his
evasion of sacrifice will be twisted and manipulated by those in the position of power. 
He understands that while he is no martyr, he wishes to be in some level of control over
his name and identity.  In a setting where the corrupt have ascended power, Proctor
understands that compliance with such authority is a form of emboldening it.  It is here
where his death represents one of the strongest form of dissent and protest.  Proctor's
death is the embodiment of "the crucible," the test to which individuals are to face in
conditions where injustice masquerades as justice.


I think
that Proctor's death also represents a personalized form of "the crucible," as well. 
Proctor's death is the first time he acts with complete confidence and a sense of self-
assurance in his marriage.  His action is done to ensure that he can be seen as a good
husband to his wife.  The "goodness" to which Elizabeth speaks at the play's conclusion
is something that only arises from his death.  Proctor's death represents the ultimate
in sacrifice that a husband makes for his wife, his marriage, and the sense of dignity
with which spouses must see one another.  It is another "test" that burns marriages if
one fails it.  It is one that Proctor's death ends up upholding his at the end of the
play.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What is the meaning of the 4th stanza of Eliot's Preludes, especially the lines "I am moved by fancies...Infinitely suffering thing".

A century old this year, T.S. Eliot's Preludes raises the curtain on his great modernist masterpieces, The Love...