Friday, December 20, 2013

Please give a character sketch of Frank Crawley in Rebecca.

Frank is the agent responsible for managing all affairs of
Manderley, and is absolutely committed to Maxim and his new wife. Other characters
present him as being boring and dull, but the narrator does not find him so. In fact,
she seems to identify with Frank a lot:


readability="7">

He seemed glad to see me. I smiled back at him.
It was nice of him to be glad to see me. I liked Frank Crawley. I did not find him dull
or uninteresting as Beatrice had done. Perhaps it was bcause I was dull myself. We were
both dull. We neither of us had a word to say for ourselves. Like to
like.



He is a profoundly good
character who obviously sympathises with the narrator in her bewildering position of
being the new mistress of Manderley and having to cope with so much. Note how Frank
reassures her by saying that she is precisely the kind of wife that Maxim needs. He is
the first friend that the narrator forms at Manderley, and the strength of this
friendship is shown when the narrator feels able to ask him about Rebecca and her
beauty. His loyalty to Maxim is shown at the end of the story when it becomes clear that
he knew that Maxim had killed Rebecca but chose not to say
anything.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What is the meaning of the 4th stanza of Eliot's Preludes, especially the lines "I am moved by fancies...Infinitely suffering thing".

A century old this year, T.S. Eliot's Preludes raises the curtain on his great modernist masterpieces, The Love...