Tuesday, December 9, 2014

In Frankenstein in chapter 5, is the focus in this section on the process of creation, the Creature, or somewhere else?

In chapter five of the first volume of
Frankenstein, Victor finally comes face-to-face with the Creature
he has been both laboring over and obsessed with. He does not realize the error of his
experiment until it is too late- until life has been restored to the
being.


Therefore, I believe that the focus on the section
is Victor's final recognition that he has committed a sin, an aberration, and released a
monster on earth. Victor flees from his "son" after first seeing his
monster:



I
started from my sleep with horror; a cold dew covered my forehead, my teeth chattered,
and every limb became convulsed: when, by the dim and yellow light of the moon, as it
forced its way through the window shutters, I beheld the wretch—the miserable monster
whom I had created.



Victor
flees from his flat and finds he is unable to rest. The only thing on Victor's mind
is:



the
demoniacal corpse to which I had so miserably given
life.



Therefore, the chapter
seems to be about Victor's recognition that his obsession, and the completion of his
experiment, are not things with which he should be proud. Instead, he continually fears
what he has done and what is to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What is the meaning of the 4th stanza of Eliot's Preludes, especially the lines "I am moved by fancies...Infinitely suffering thing".

A century old this year, T.S. Eliot's Preludes raises the curtain on his great modernist masterpieces, The Love...