Monday, December 21, 2015

I am having trouble writing about Macbeth INITIAL impression in the beginning of the play. I'm not sure how to develop my paragraph?In...

I think you have a great start by introducing the
audience’s impression of Macbeth as relayed by the sergeant. This impression that
Macbeth is a brave soldier, winning the day for his king, is an excellent beginning, and
I like what I see of your writing so far. Remember to include also the mention of
Macbeth in the very brief first scene. Here the witches indicate they will have a
meeting with Macbeth. This first mention of Macbeth hints at something mysterious or
sinister, even evil--certainly supernatural. What would the audience think of the
witches talking about Macbeth? Something is amiss. Is the threat against Macbeth? Why do
the witches expect to meet with him? Is he in danger? Is he in partnership with them?
Because you also have this hint of a threatening connection between the witches and
Macbeth, you can possibly develop a thesis that includes the development of a
double-sided and/or complex characterization of Macbeth.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What is the meaning of the 4th stanza of Eliot's Preludes, especially the lines "I am moved by fancies...Infinitely suffering thing".

A century old this year, T.S. Eliot's Preludes raises the curtain on his great modernist masterpieces, The Love...