Sunday, December 20, 2015

in the boy in the striped pyjamas what quote shows an individual doing an action or making a decision to please society? Please please help thank...

Almost every person in this novel has been made to do
something they did not want to do.  When Bruno talks to Maria about how unhappy he is to
have moved to Out With, she tells him,


readability="10">

Bruno, if you have any sense at all, you will
stay quiet and concentrate on your school work and do whatever your father tells you. 
We must all just keep ourselves safe until this is all over. That's what I intend to do
anyway.  What more can we do than that after all?  It's not up to us to change things." 
(pg 65)



Bruno's father has
taken a job that moves them to Poland.  His wife is unhappy, and his children are
unhappy. But he explains to Bruno,


readability="9">

"Bruno, sometimes there are things we need to do
in life that we don't have a choice in..... And I'm afraid this is one of them.  This is
my work, important work.  Important to our country.  Important to the Fury. You'll
understand that some day."  (pg
48)



Mother wants to return to
Berlin.  She knows what father's job entails, and it sickens her. She is drinking more
and taking more naps.  She finally asks Father to send them back to Berlin.  Father
replies,



"What
would people think....if I permit you and the children to return to Berlin without me? 
They will ask questions about my commitment to my work here." (pg
187)



When Shmuel is telling
Bruno what happened to his household and his family, he
says,



"I came
home from school and my mother was making armbands for us from a special cloth and
drawing a star on each one..... every time we left the house, we had to wear one of the
armbands." (pg 127)



The pages
I have given are from my edition of the book.  They may vary in your edition, but you
will find them in the general area.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What is the meaning of the 4th stanza of Eliot's Preludes, especially the lines "I am moved by fancies...Infinitely suffering thing".

A century old this year, T.S. Eliot's Preludes raises the curtain on his great modernist masterpieces, The Love...