Friday, December 18, 2015

What is the main focus of the story "Araby"?James Joyce's "Araby"

The main focus of James Joyce's short story "Araby" is
upon the narrator/character whose deluded infatuation leads him to glorify his
perception of Mangan's sister, and, in so doing, become
disillusioned.


When the narrator initially see Mangan's
sister, he envisions her as having an aura behind her, like a madonna, she has "her
figure defined by the light from the half-opened door."  Later, he further
romanticizes himself as an Arthurian knight and confuses this image with relgious
fervor, 



...I
bore my chalice safely through a throng of foes.  Her name sprang to my lips at moments
in strange prayers and praises which I myself did not understand.  My eyes were often
full of tears....



Then, when
he speaks to her, Mangan's sister asks the narrator if she is going to Araby,
a bazaar that he considers exotic.  However, this, too, is an illusion; and,
when the narrator arrives at the bazaar as it closes and Mangan's sister is not there,
he realizes his adolescent folly,


readability="5">

Gazing up into the darkness I saw myself as a
creature driven and derided by
vanity.



As he stands in the
dark hall, the narrator has what Joyce terms an epiphany and his eyes burn with his
shame and anger at himself for being so romantically deluded and foolish in his
infatuation.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What is the meaning of the 4th stanza of Eliot's Preludes, especially the lines "I am moved by fancies...Infinitely suffering thing".

A century old this year, T.S. Eliot's Preludes raises the curtain on his great modernist masterpieces, The Love...