Thursday, September 12, 2013

Where does the band Train stand in their views of God?

Train is not usually considered a religious band. Their
hit single "Calling All Angels" is usually seen as being at least partially religious in
nature. The lyric:


readability="11">

'Cause when I look to the sky something tells me
you're here with me


And you make everything
alright


And when I feel like I'm lost something tells me
you're here with me


And I can always find my way when you
are here



from the song "When
I Look to the Sky" can be interpreted as speaking to God, but the song was written in
reference to soldiers leaving for Iraq:


readability="29">

MONAHAN: Well, CNN actually played a big role in
our newest single. It's called "When I Look to the Sky." And you guys were filming
people departing to go to Iraq.

PHILLIPS:
Really?


MONAHAN: And, as I watched, I thought, really, the
only thing we have in common, here are these men and women traveling, and some of them
are staying and watching their loved ones go away. The same thing's happening all over
the world. And the one thing we have in common is, we look up at the sky and we hope
that there's some kind of connection. And so, when I looked to the sky, it came from
that.

PHILLIPS: That sounds kind of spiritual. Are you a spiritual
guy?

MONAHAN: Probably. I think we all are. We all have faith in
something. And my faith is in people.


(CNN interview with
Pat Monahan, January 22,
2004)



I can't say for certain
what their collective views of God and religion are, but they are often (mis)identified
as a Christian Rock band, and their lyrics refer to faith, love, and hope, which are
often seen as staples of religious music. They probably consider themselves straight
Pop/Rock, with no specific labels other than that.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What is the meaning of the 4th stanza of Eliot's Preludes, especially the lines "I am moved by fancies...Infinitely suffering thing".

A century old this year, T.S. Eliot's Preludes raises the curtain on his great modernist masterpieces, The Love...