Friday, September 20, 2013

What are the Shakespeare Twelfth Night lines in which Olivia says she will not love for 7 years?

In Act I, Scene I of "Twelfth Night," the character
Valentine makes this report to Duke Orsino:


"So please my
lord, I might not be admitted;


But from her handmaid do
return this answer:


The element itself, till seven years'
heat,


Shall not behold her face at ample
view;


But, like a cloistress, she will veiled
walk


And water once a day her chamber
round


With eye-offending brine: all this to
season


A brother's dead love, which she would keep
fresh


And lasting in her sad
remembrance."


-- from the "Complete Works of William
Shakespeare"

No comments:

Post a Comment

What is the meaning of the 4th stanza of Eliot's Preludes, especially the lines "I am moved by fancies...Infinitely suffering thing".

A century old this year, T.S. Eliot's Preludes raises the curtain on his great modernist masterpieces, The Love...