Thursday, July 25, 2013

If the saying, "Health is wealth" is true, why are wealthy people always sick?

I guess I disagree with the premise of the question.  I am
not sure it is scientifically accurate to suggest that wealthy people are always sick. 
I think that one can go to any public aid clinic and see that this is the not the case. 
One of the most profound elements of sickness is that it impacts everyone, rich and
poor.  Given how the current health care system in America is one that favors wealth, I
would actually argue that wealthy people can afford to receive the best of health care
in such a system, thereby ensuring that health and wealth do go together.  Yet, I do not
think that a reasonable argument can be made to presume that wealthy people are "always"
sick.


I would actually flip the statement and use something
that Virgil and many others have used in articulating the connnection between wealth and
health.  The great writer once said, "The greatest wealth is health."  I think that this
might strike more at your implication.  While wealth acquisition is wonderful and
needed, I think that the previous argument that states health illnesses know no
boundaries is a vital point.  I am reminded of the Hyman Roth
quote in The
Godfather, Part II
regarding this
condition:



I'd
give four million just to be able to take a piss without it
hurting.



I don't think there
is a better way to articulate how wealth and health go together.  It is not that wealth
people are "always sick" and, conversely, poor people are always healthy.  Rather, it is
an understanding that health is the ultimate form of wealth, something that is taken for
granted when not evident, but something sorely needed when
absent.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What is the meaning of the 4th stanza of Eliot's Preludes, especially the lines "I am moved by fancies...Infinitely suffering thing".

A century old this year, T.S. Eliot's Preludes raises the curtain on his great modernist masterpieces, The Love...