Monday, August 19, 2013

Would the creature in Frankenstein be society's idea of a monster if Victor had accepted him?

This is a very interesting hypothetical question to
consider, and I believe the answer can be found in Chapter Ten of this great novel, when
Frankenstein comes face to face with his creature on top of a mountain. The creature
justifies what he has become by refering to the way that he has been treated by both his
maker and by other humans. His response seems to make it clear that even if Victor had
managed to accept him and care for him as his maker, he still would have been greeted by
scorn, hatred and anger by the rest of the world. Note what the creature says to
Frankenstein:


readability="16">

Believe me, Frankenstein: I was benevolent; my
soul glowed with love and humanity: but am I not alone, miserably alone? You, my
creator, abhor me; what hope can I gather from your fellow-creatures, who owe me
nothing? They spurn and hate me. The desert mountains and dreary glaciers are my
refuge... These bleak skies I hail, for they are kinder to me than your fellow-beings.
If the multitude of mankind knew of my existence, they would do as you do, and arm
themselves for my destruction. Shall I not then hate them who abhor
me?



This passage is key as it
presents the idea that the creature was made to be benevolent. What has turned him evil
is the way that he has been treated by Frankenstein and by other humans. We can almost
understand his logic as he justifies his evil nature. Thus, even if Frankenstein had
greeted the creature with love and nurtured him, he still would have been abhorrent to
other humans, questioning your hypothesis. Frankenstein's love and care would have
greatly helped the creature, but the sheer level of hatred and anger the creature would
have incited might have had the same effect in the long term.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What is the meaning of the 4th stanza of Eliot's Preludes, especially the lines "I am moved by fancies...Infinitely suffering thing".

A century old this year, T.S. Eliot's Preludes raises the curtain on his great modernist masterpieces, The Love...